Sunday 27 April 2014

Day 16 Devonport to Stanley 1 April 14

Crew up early to get some shots around the yacht club.The tide coming in so some water in the river.During the night the tanker left and the cement ship Goliath tied up at her berth and started loading also the Searoad vessel was in her berth along with Spirit 1.

Solquest departed for Stanley with the full crew to do some filming on potatoes ,Gary says might be a bit boring as potatoes do not do much and certainly do not make noises.
Toby ran Ben over to the town with my dead computer and to get a few things.I wiped up the breakfast things and had a go at fixing my chain counter on the anchor winch.Glued a new magnet on it and bingo off she went again.
Toby and Ben returned with the computer,only loose and dirty connections,not bad for a desktop ,done Bass Strait crossings and three and a half circumnavs got many hidings not really designed to be used in this manner.He forgot to get the replacement potato peeler which mysteriously disappeared .
Had morning tea of toasted hot cross buns  Toby left in the van and we got under way.

The plan was to catch up and transfer the crew to Masterpiece after the Farmers had done their thing.As we neared Solquest it was obvious it would be too dangerous to attempt a transfer at sea,there was only about 10 knots of easterly wind but a quite messy northerly slop making the ride on Solquest  quite uncomfortable but crews got their sea legs now, some more than others.
As they had made good time and were off Rocky Cape and only had about 2 and a half hours to go we elected to leave all on board.Masterpiece went on ahead to berth in the harbour in Stanley.

Stanley is always a dilemma as where to berth as it is a busy fishing port.I elected to tie up alongside as the main wharf as some of the Marina type ones were taken and one does not know which ones are free.I surmised as the wind was easterly the cray boats would be away on the West Coast going for their lives.
I listened in to Mary on Smithton radio and about five or six called up.She has an enviable association with them as she has provided a service with the weather and position reports for many years,their families get reassurance from listening in.It is interesting to note not many say where they are but I bet the locals can guess depending on the weather.
After they had finished ,they leave about 30 seconds between boats a respectful time, not all together like the yachts at home 4 or 5 at once! I called her to let her know we were about. I will call until we get to Strahan.
After a rolly polly day I think every body was keen to get off the boats and stretch their legs up to the pub.
The lady Josh and crew are going to see tomorrow was there along with her husband. He said haven't I seen you before,what is your name? I told him and he said I used to work with Mike Booker,an apt name as he started a business as a travel agent when Incat first got really going.
He explained how they had hard wired terminals in their homes so they could give Robert instant action when he required it and knowing him I bet he had them on the hop many times.
Seems like hard work when comparing it with today's internet systems.He explained also how they set up a company in Mikes home town in the UK to collect the funds.Good times indeed.

Had a good meal at the pub, the Farmers cooking on Solquest. My sister sent a photo of where my mothers sister lived in Stanley, it was once the Plowmans Inn.I mentioned it to the  lady who is involved with the old Telegraph Station.She said it is just up the road,see that fellow over there he is the publican and lives in it.It is a small world, must go and check out the cemetery tomorrow if I get time.

Into the bunk with Solquest rafted up beside us.I generously offered to have them alongside as the rise and fall of the tide here is considerable and the setting of your lines and fenders a pain.
Silly me, Ben raised his eyebrows when I suggested it.I put a new spring on just before going to bed but to no avail.Their fender is moaning right beside my bunk and along with the rather large fishing boat which came in a little after midnight with his either freezer or pump motor going, not a lot of sleep is going on.
Ben had a word with them,we need to unload where you are in the morning so you will need to move, not too early though. Not too early for them is probably daylight.
Just heard another one come in I think.
Should be able to find somewhere out of the way with their help, here for another night.

I owe Toby an apology, I mistakenly accused him of getting lost when traveling to the trout farm.
He was still in Hobart. It seems Gilly was driving and the producer suggested someone change the voice on the TomTom as it was bugging him, I can just imagine six of them carrying on and in the process getting lost!
Solquest off Rocky Cape

Plenty of room then, not now, in Stanley. Nut behind.
An old farmer from Bendigo came by, "I am 83 but still get the grain off our big cattle property at home. Having a holiday in Tasmania for a couple of weeks, haven't had many holidays you know.
"Is this a fishing boat?"
"No," I said, "but we catch a few."
"Had a look at the cattle race along the wharf, looks like it is new and only used once.What do you know about it?"
I said, "I did read they were going to ship cattle from King Island to here."
"That must be it then," he said, "we sell some to them."
"Sounds like a bus mans holiday to me, not many cattle around near Strahan," I said. And off he went.

No comments:

Post a Comment