Sunday 27 April 2014

Day 11 Thunder and Lightning to Lady Barron 24 March 14

Not a long voyage but turned out to be quite challenging.
Ben and I up first ,Ben went off to Key Island in the dinghy to pull the pot.NBG.

Solquest up anchored to go diving until Josh reminded them they were flying today,not a good combination,anyway we were quite
sheltered in our anchorage and the promised Westerly was well in where they were headed.
We had a light breakfast of waffles etc and I started on the farmers washing up in the cockpit,somebody said leave it but I had a feeling we were going to get a bit of a touch up getting to Lady Barron.Be good having all that rolling around the cockpit.

They were impatient to get away and as we were washing up the breakfast things for the same reason I managed to knock over the half full coffee pot on the stove,all over the burners and down the sides.
I told them on the radio we had an emergency so they would have to wait as I did not want another three on board at the moment with all their travel gear.
Eventually Ben went over and picked up Mathew ,Ross and Nick for the trip to LB.
Solquest go under way and headed for Badger Island,the best West wind anchorage on offer,not an option to travel to the Tamar today and so upset their plans to go home for a couple of days,will not be worth it for only one day.I believe they plan to leave Monday about midday to catch the favorable tides in Bass Strait and Tamar river.Rod's wife will travel up instead.

Well as we rounded the point out of the bay all hell broke loose.about 20 knot westerly with shallow water and an outgoing tide.The waves were really standing up with no backs in them.
Solquest was on our beam and jumping nearly clean out of the water,not a good sign for Masterpiece as stem heading waves like those is the worst scenario for a lightweight cat.
No option but to tack into the sea like a yacht so after about 20 minutes of crashing and banging  with many waves going over the foredeck and up the windows we were able to tack about and go across them for the next leg to Franklin Sound.Even then things were not easy as the middle of the Sound is shallow and as I had elected to take the northern route the waves were on my port quarter and still shallow water all over the place.I arced her up to 21 knots and hung on.
My passengers did not say anything but I wonder what they thought!
However it is the best way to control Masterpiece in these conditions.

When we got over to the north shore and turned around the shallow bank part the sea eased considerably ,we steamed up the channel near Little Dog Island at 10 knots ,Ben recording the track on my new IPad for future reference.How these devices have changed navigation!
When I was in Triabunna I had yarns with old fishermen and people who deliver boats who now use them all the time.I can see the day when all our nav gear will be obsolete .Fat Cat is onto something there.(Gary Linacre at Navionics was well ahead of the game well done.)
One old bloke said I keep mine beside me at night to keep an eye on the crews steering,one other one said I can see if I am dragging on my phone in my bunk.
I imagine Jerry would be horrified.

Well arrived safely at the wharf and deposited the crews,they piled into the van driven by Toby up to the pub.Gilly to get some background shots and the rest to have lunch.The views from the verandah there are superb overlooking the harbour and beyond.
Ben and I stayed on board for a while when a local came in with his catch of shark.while his mate was getting his trailer in the water he came over for a chat his wife and little dog comfortable in his cabin.
I asked him if this berth was available and he said no a local would be back soon.
I did not mind as I don't like being alongside here.Go get a mooring he advised ,it is going to blow this afternoon.
Mean while the crew were up in the pub and were advised by the locals there would be fireworks when the fishing boat arrived if I was still there.Then he came around the point just as we pulled out,perfect timing.
Put the boat on the moorings and had some beautiful scallops for lunch,always good at Flinders.
Finished lunch and Gilly put his camera to bed on the boat,Gary got his bag and they set off for Whitemark with time to spare.
Ben and I returned to the boat for a nap and a bit of TV .
It was very quiet,believe Garth and Rod did the same.



Mötley crew of very creative people having Bens lunch talking shop on masterpiece.
No scripts here! What they take is what you see.

View image.jpeg in slide show

No comments:

Post a Comment