Wednesday 6 March 2019

Hibbs Pyramid to Double Cove.


Up at seven to pull thr pots,a slight hitch though.I had been reading Ian Johnston’s new book,he made a suggestion that if you ran out considerable chain after putting your snubber on the drag on the chain would help to keep the bow of your vessel from swinging about better.I thought I might try it so the night before when I anchored I put out about ten or twelve meters of extra chain which hung down between the anchor roller and the snubber hook.
Well it did not work for me!The chain twisted around the hook so I could not get it out.I messed about with it for a while but had to launch the dinghy and get Chris to tie the chain over the bow with a length rope threaded through the chain below the hook so I could free the snubber.Good job it was not blowing as it would have been a mission to get under there in any wind.

Not to worry we fixed it and went over to pull the pots.The first one had two size crays in it ,looking good I thought.False hope the second one had one small cray with three Port Jackson sharks and a small cray put back for another day.

We left for Strahan working our way up the coast inside many rocks.
Past Birthday Bay and Varna as well.There was a SW swell so most rocks were visible.There are a lot on this part of the coast.

Rounded Cape Sorell and up into Macquarie Harbour.We headed to Double Cove for the night,put the net in as we caught a heap of escapee salmon here last time,no such luck this time.
Chris had roast lamb on the go so we had a very good meal to celebrate our arrival.
As I turned in about ten I got a phone message from Jeremy to call him in the morning .
I wondered what it was about as he had obviously been calling me on the radio.It would have been an extreme last resort to text me.

No comments:

Post a Comment