Wednesday 6 March 2019

Double Cove to Warner’s Landing.Motore

As often happens on these trips,some days not much happens and others a lot transpires.
Up fairly early and motored out of the cove,thought something must have been up.I could not get VHF reception when we were on anchor.Turned the radio on,got a call from Tas Maritime radio ,Masterpiece,Masterpiece,the operator seemed agitated,called me over and over.
I called back but he seemed not to hear me.Looked up their phone number and called him,please wait he said,I said Masterpiece here,thank goodness he replied.Do you know a boat RG . . . no I said well he is aground south of Sarah Island and has been all night.
The conditions were near enough to a flat calm so we knew he would be ok.I suppose he would not know that though.
Motored around and saw Jerry coming out of Birches Inlet.With the AIS it plots other boats course on my plotter,I thought you are a bit close to that rough ground to the west.As it transpired he hit a rock with his centerboard which jammed it in the case.Now we had two incidents going at once,got the call ,the navigator told me I was a bit close,but I said I have been through here before,well obviously not exactly there.

I got out our stout ropes and put the dinghy in Chris and John ran the tow line over to the stricken yacht.We switched to channel 17 for the operation,naturally Jerry had to put his two bobs worth in .
I said to the skipper had a quiet night,he replied ,if you call grinding around on a rock quiet ,yes..
I asked him what he wanted and he said his vessel was a traditional keel so just pull me ahead please.
They were going to tie the rope to the forestay but Chris suggested the mast might be better.
All was ready for a pull,I gave a little pull but nothing happened,a bit more and still no movement,one more go and we were about to take a line to the dinghy to pull the mast over when she came off.
I think they were quite relieved as it is a worry when you are aground ,especially all night .

They anchored well out in the bay and said they were going into Sarah Island by Dinghy.The track in is not really marked and you need local knowledge.We went in and tied up to the old jetty.
Meanwhile Pennny was ordered over the side to check Rosinante’s keel.Put her bathers and cap on and over she went,no doubt with plenty of instructions from Jeremy.
Saw her next day and she said considered going in the nick but you might have seen me,we were half a mile away.
Had breakfast at the jetty and another sailing cat was out in the bay ,a couple came in in their dinghy and tied up to the jetty,I said I bet they are world travelers ,you can tell how the do it.The came along for a chat ,from Adelaide they have been around the World ,around Australia and now they are going around Tasmania.They rate the Kimberly the best though.

We went ashore to do the Island before the cruise boats arrived.Some better interpreter work has been done we thought since our last visit.

The crew from Liberator who we Liberated came ashore and Ann and Elise from Barcoo showed up.
They tagged onto the first cruise party to hear the guides speel.

We went back to the boat and lent the rescued crew our mud map of the river ,they were now a bit apprehensive about navigating in the tannin water.

We left and motored up the Gordon River past the ferry who gave us a good blast and all the passengers waved ,I had met the skipper on previous trips.

We anchored off the Boom Camp and backed back to tie to the small landing and had lunch,cold lamb sandwiches were really good.Went ashore and inspected the buildings now a fishing shack place,a new generator shed since my last visit.There is a fish cleaning board so they must be better at catching fish up here than us.
Back on board and slowly motored up the river another 15 miles about.
Arrived at Warner’s Landing and found enough room for us,there were about ten boats up there by dark.
Listened to the sched at 6.30.
Had a quiet night now raining.





No comments:

Post a Comment