Saturday 3 January 2015

Saturday Jan 3. Hobart to Shouten Island.


Met at the Club about 10,as arranged.
Ben  and Graeme wizzed up to the Super to shop.I loaded the Pot and fishing gear on and topped up the water tanks.
All done by 12.we decided to wander into the club for a coffee as a very energetic sea breeze had sprung up.We thought we might give it half an hour to ease up a bit.Ben had to drive the dinghy out to hook up to the Davits.

As it turned out we were half right.Still a bit of a breeze but considerably less than before.
Departed at 12.30 for the Dunalley Canal.
Two and a half hours later we were through the bridge and into Blackman Bay
A really low tide ,I estimated the current at at least eight knots through the gap,I had to give her a bit more as we were hardly moving through the bridge,the strongest flow I have encountered there!
I would not have attempted the other way!

Had a 25 knott SE sea breeze behind us fron the canal up to Shouten Passage..A bit jumpy.
The crew caught a few nice flats in the passage .i cleaned them and baited the pot.Put it down in one of my favourite spots.About ten other fisherman's there also though.I did find a nice bit of bottom though.We will see in the morning.
 
Called the Coast Guard at St Helens and arranged to meet at 9am out side the Bar."you were up here with that Racing car bloke last year weren't you."yes I said you mean Garth,yes that's right.
See you there then,I will let Clyde know you need some fuel.

Well had a nice tea cooked by Ben and changed the belt on my Steering pump as I managed to put the belt on the pulley next to the right one the other day when doing some maintenance,could not figure out why it was shredding its self!
Must be getting old.Dont say anything!
Should be good now.
Better finish up alarm set for Five in the morning.

Anchored under Bear Hill. You can see him on the left side well up.

No comments:

Post a Comment