Saturday 17 January 2015

Saturday Couta boat racing

Went ashore for breakfast and to put Rob's boat on the trailer.Saw a few people most moving slowly ,Will turned up for breakfast as they had run out of food at his place.
Tidied up the boat on the trailer and took Masterpiece over to Queenscliff to refuel.
Followed the ferry into the channel,there are two ferries which leave every hour from each end.
Tied up at the bowser pontoon,You recon the old yacht club pump was slow,this one is painful.

Put in enough to cross Bass Strait and halfway back so should be ok.

We motored to our marina berth on the T head of the marina.Only just protected as the wind is now offshore.A bit bumpy but I hope to get used to it.

Put the dinghy in and ran Rob along to the club to pick up his car and trailer.By now the carpark was full but there was just enough room to get the trailer out.

Thought I might go out and anchor and watch the Couta boat race in the dinghy,did not plan to so am a bit burnt tonight.No sunscreen on.

Today is the biggest Couta boat race on their calendar,The Portsea Cup.
They start with a breakfast for I guessed about 250 people.There were speeches going on for quite a while as we packed up.
I watched as the crews got ready to race.It certainly was a big affair close to 40 boats with crews ranging fom three or four to seven or even eight.I heard they had sixty once but running the Moths has taken a toll,heaps of volunteers worked very hard to make the series a success .

One broke his main Halliad as they raised the main.They motored back in and there was a scurry to rig a new one.I heard later one also broke a shroud so the bosun took off up to the local hardware store for some bulldog clips and rigged up a temporary one ,it worked well enough for them to get fourth.

The wind was 15 to 20,perfect conditions for Moth sailing ,unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!!

They raced as two classes,not sure why but I think some are bigger than others.
The winner in the big class led all day but the next three had a real dig dong battle.
The placings being decided on the last beat.
In the small ones the first five finished within about a minute and a half. 

Came back to the boat and cooked my dinner.Barbara and Andrew had a hens charter on for a couple of hours.The wind had picked up a bit so I helped them back into their berth.They came over with some nibbles and had a beer with them.

The Couta boat sailer I met the other day arrived with his Palm Beach cruiser and Dimmy the dog,she found a ball on my boat the other day and was keen to get back on to find it.They invited me to dinner but I had already eaten.
He returned about fifteen minutes later ,my son had run the large inflatable out of fuel at a local beach so I have to go out again and get him.I had half a tank of fuel I gave him to get the boat back.They were back about half an hour later.

Saw the Spirit going past with the boys onboard.Royce,Heather and Hughie fly home tomorrow.
Looks like I am here until Wednesday,hope the predicted weather eventuates.

A photo of one of the magnificent Couta Boats.Most of them are in excellent condition.

No comments:

Post a Comment