Thursday 9 February 2017

Results of coupling service

Dismantled the torsional vibration coupling and made a new bush for the center,also machined some off the center to reduce the clearance on the thrust rings.
Reassembled with some grease to give it a chance to run in.The bearings are a plastic material.
I am suspicious the thrust rings have always had too much clearance.
Seems to run better in the marina but under load will be the test.
James found a small leak in an exhaust coupling so we pulled it out and found a crack in the fiberglass 6 inch pipe.Fortunately Trevor had some so I machined up a new piece,I found some better clamps in Moonah so should eliminate a small annoying water leak which used to appear now and then. I though it was coming through the hatch.
I hardly ever go into the engine room when the engine is running,probably should do it more often.

I have had a busy week or so working on the boat,not helped by some Queenslanders next to me who are ready for the trip and seem to be really relaxed and enjoying themselves.
Thank goodness I am finally ready for the Wooden Boat Festival in the morning,then one day to load up for the circumnavigation.
Wife is happy as her Cessna arrived on Wednesday and is in the hanger at Lee Wave.


Coupling apart.


Back together and ready to install.Looks simple but really quite complicated.


Lesley's new toy in the background.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment